Ok so I have been wanting a good sugar lemon cookie for a while. I had a really good one on an airplane of all places. It was chewy, sugar, and slightly lemon. I didn’t want an over the top lemon cookie, just a little. Well I started with a good chewy sugar cookie which I found in a King Arthur Flour cook book. It called for a little lemon, so I just pumped up the recipe. With what I have learned from Alton Brown, having a little more proteins in the cookie will make it chewy. I have also learned the importance of weighing ingredients! So I added an egg yolk and then needed to figure out how much more flour to add. After a couple of test, the testers have approved of this new lemon sugar cookie! So yummy.
Lemony Sugar Cookie
- 3/4c (6oz) unsalted melted butter
- 3/4c (5 1/2 oz) granulated sugar
- 1/2c (4oz) brown sugar
- 1/4 (2 3/4 oz) light corn syrup
- 2 ts vanilla extract
- 1/2 ts lemon extract
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 ts baking powder
- 1/2 ts baking soda
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 1/2 c (16 oz) all-purpose flour, or bread flour
- 1/4 c coarse sugar, for coating
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugars, corn syrup, vanilla, lemon, zest, baking powder, baking soda, salt, egg, and egg yolk. Stir in flour
- Place the coarse sugar in shallow dish. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful into the sugar, roll the balls to coat them. Place them on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, until the bottom edges are just barely beginning to brown. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5min, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.